Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Product Review: "Lavender Sorbet" Nursing Bra by Cake Lingerie

I am proud to present my first official product review! The people at Cake Lingerie were kind enough to send me one of their nursing bras to review for my audience.*

Often when we think of nursing bras, we imagine plain, even ugly, utilitarian, unsupportive or uncomfortable, or, at best, boring undergarments. Especially for those of us who are more well-endowed, it can be tough to find quality nursing bras that also make us feel good about how we look. Pregnancy and nursing can take a toll on our self-image and our bodies in general. It's nice to be able to wear some nice lingerie that is also functional!

As many of you know, I've been nursing and/or pregnant for over six years, and I've worn a lot of nursing bras in that time. I can tell you up front that this bra from Cake Lingerie is one of my favorites.

Cake Lingerie specializes in maternity and nursing lingerie and sleepwear. The bra I chose to review, the Lavender Sorbet bra, is from their plus-sized line, which offers bras for US sizes 32D through 40M. One thing I've found with Cake Lingerie is that their bras run a little small, so I requested a 36F even though I usually wear a 36E.

My first impressions of the bra and panty set, when I opened the box, were "ooh, pretty." It's really a pretty bra, with lace on the sides, bows, and cute little button accents. The material is soft and high quality. The shoulder straps are fairly wide and have lace trim as well. There are extra sets of hooks in the back to accommodate your rib cage as it expands with pregnancy and then shrinks back down after giving birth. I appreciate that there are three hooks on a wider band. I prefer three hooks to two.

After getting my initial impressions, I wore the bra all day to see how it performed. I did all my usual activities - sitting at the computer, cooking dinner, walking the kids to the park, nursing in bed, holding the baby.

What I loved: The bra stayed put and was very supportive through all of my adventures of a typical day. The cup can be clasped and unclasped for nursing one-handed. It has a standard nursing bra clasp near the shoulder. The shoulder straps stayed put - I wasn't constantly adjusting them like I am with a couple of my other bras - even when the cup was open for nursing. The shaped cups gave my breasts a uniform look whether they were full of milk just before a feeding or empty of milk just after one, and even when they were a bit lopsided because my son only nursed on one side. I could lie on my side in bed and the breast I wasn't using didn't fall out of the cup. And this bra is pretty. It's very feminine. I love the colors, medium gray and lavender, which are discreet enough to wear under almost any color t-shirt without showing through (except white) but bold enough to feel fun and different.

What I liked: This bra gives almost full coverage while still letting a little cleavage peek through. My breasts felt contained but not constrained. There's no underwire (which is my preference), and the band is nice and wide and sturdy to add support and give shape even without a wire. Even when the cup is open for nursing, the breast is still supported by the band, and the shoulder strap is held in place by an extra piece of fabric over the top of the breast.

What I didn't like: Because of the thickness of the fabric on the bottom of the cups, I felt sweatier in this bra than I'm used to. It wasn't a hot day, but the undersides of my breasts were damp with sweat by mid-afternoon. This bra maybe doesn't breathe as well as a cotton one would. I'd suggest wearing this bra when you want to feel dressed up and sexy - maybe for an evening out - but you may not want to wear it all day long, especially on a hot day. The side panels were high and cut into my armpits a little. It didn't bother me that much, and I got used to it, but I noticed it all the same.

Check out my video review for a closer look at this bra and how it worked out for me:



Thank you, Cake Lingerie, for creating attractive and quality undergarments for pregnant and nursing mothers!

*I was provided with a free product from the company for review, but I was not otherwise compensated in any way.

Check out Cake Lingerie's website to see their catalog and place an order: http://www.cakelingerie.com/
Visit Cake Lingerie on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cakelingerie

No comments:

Post a Comment