Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Moving Mountains and the Stress of the Endless "To-Dos"

I'm slogging through in that place where you have so much to do, it seems much easier to simply ignore everything and do nothing than to get any of it done. It feels like doing any of it is just a drop in the bucket, and I don't know where to start. It's getting better. There are lots of people helping (the advantage of being relocated by a major company instead of trying to do your whole move on your own), but the fact remains that we still have a lot to deal with ourselves, including a lot of the financial side of things regarding the house we left behind in trying to get it rented out.

I don't handle this kind of stress well. I'm not good at breaking down a project into pieces, making a to-do list and crossing things off, taking things one step at a time. I'm the kind of person who walks into a messy room, looks around, picks up a piece of trash, can't figure out where to put it, and lies down on the bed to play Candy Crush instead. I admire greatly people who can, instead, walk into a messy room, pick a starting point, and make sense of the chaos one pair of jeans at a time.

I have accomplished a few things. I set up our water, trash, and power accounts today. I canceled our old internet account. I'm working with a contractor and property manager to get our house into renting-out shape (on my end, it's mostly trying to figure out how to pay for it all than actually making the calls). Things are moving forward, and I know that we'll be settled into our new place soon and things will make more sense.

Entertaining the kids, doing my own work, maintaining some semblance of routine (ha!), and finding time to relax are all challenges right now. These would be challenging anyway in the summer, with all three home and me pregnant to boot, but not having a "home base," as it were, a place to feel comfortable and have a set of rules to keep us (yes, even me) in line, a backyard in which to play safely, and rooms where we can be more than 10 feet apart if needed for breathing space and quiet, magnifies every problem.

I have a few more moving-related tasks to accomplish in the coming week or two, and then we can hopefully settle into the usual routines of meals and naps and sleep, activities and work, laundry and dishes. The seemingly unending mountain of "things to deal with" is shrinking, bit by bit, and will eventually plateau out into the normal cycle of chores.

How do you deal with massive projects or extensive lists of to-dos? What's your strategy for cutting through the clutter and making sense of the piles? What do you do when it just seems like too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment